Cultural Competence and Equity Committee
The role of the Cultural Competence and Equity Committee is to:
- Assist the college with the implementation and development of practices that advance cultural competence
- Foster excellence, effectiveness, and equity in teaching and learning
- Improve college and community relations
For request for funds for campus events, please complete and submit the Events Funding Request Form.
Due to the complexity of fund allocation and the required paperwork (e.g. approved travel authorization and/or reimbursement form), please submit your funding request 45 days prior to the date of the first activity or event.
About the Committee
The committee shall:
- Provide leadership for the development, implementation and assessment of the Cultural Competence Strategic Plan.
- Provide support for the development of sexual harassment and assault prevention and equity training materials and processes.
- Make recommendations that enhance college processes and practices with respect to the systemic inclusion of cultural competence in all aspects of the College.
- Work with the Equity Officer to periodically review the hiring processes with regard to equity, inclusion and the infusion of cultural competence. Identify college/district issues relating to equal opportunity and communicate them to the College President along with solutions.
- Assist with professional development with an emphasis on human relations, practices that facilitate and support equitable educational outcomes, and other areas that lead to enhanced cultural competence and student success at the College.
- Work with the Equity Officer to periodically review and advise on the District's staff equity plan.
- Review and approve funding proposals for cultural events/activities offered on campus that support the goals of the Equity Plan and the Cultural Competence Strategic Plan. The Cultural Competence and Equity committee will also, when appropriate, partner with the event organizing committee to plan and offer activities as part of the event. The Cultural Competence and Equity committee will also review the reports from recipients to assess the effectiveness of the event/activity with respect to the achievement of the stated outcomes. In addition, the executive secretary of the Cultural Competence and Equity committee will provide administrative support for the event.
- Review and approve funding for grants that support projects designed to enhance cultural competence, expand our understanding of diversity and facilitate equitable outcomes for all students.
- Oversee and support the efforts of the One Book Subcommittee.
- Oversee the development, implementation and assessment of the Student Equity Plan.
The committee shall be composed of up to ten faculty from divisions throughout the college or as designated by the Academic Senate President.
The committee shall include the Equity Officer plus two other administrators designated by the College President. The College President shall appoint the Executive Secretary from the administrative appointees.
The committee shall include three members designated by the Classified Senate President.
The committee shall be composed of three members designated by the Student Associations of CRC (SACRC).
Classified Professional Tri-Chair
Miguel Lemus, Admissions and Records Evaluator II
Jordan Cervantes, Student Personnel Assistant, Student Life and Leadership Center
Michael Carney (CSS)
Mike Chappell (CSS)
Daniel Heard Mollel (ELS)
Crystal Martinez-Alire (CSS)
Maha Myren (SME)
Loi Nguyen (SME)
Adam Wadenius (AME)
Alton Williams (SBS)
Sabrina Sencil, Interim Dean of Research and Equity
Brian Rickel, Dean of Arts, Media and Entertainment
Oscar Mendoza Plascencia, Interim Director of Student Equity and Engagement
Meetings are held the second Thursday of each month from 1:00 to 2:30 pm via Zoom.